The Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District (MTD) is seeking a motivated and hardworking individuals to fill the position of Facility Custodian. The Facility Custodian performs routine cleaning of District offices, work areas, bus shelters, and public areas.
This full-time position is Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM, with an excellent benefit package which includes health insurance and a retirement plan.
A high school diploma or equivalent is preferred.
- Some related experience and/or training in cleaning methods and procedures is preferred.
- Must hold a valid State of Illinois Driver’s License.
- Cleans, sweeps, dust mops and wet mops floors, stairways, and corridors to ensure cleanliness of approximately 20,000 square feet
- Inspects and cleans bus shelters throughout surrounding Champaign-Urbana community using a trailer-mounted power washer
- Uses proper chemicals and equipment necessary for specific cleaning tasks
- Performs routine maintenance of custodial equipment
- Orders supplies and maintains inventory of supplies
- Washes the inside and outside of windows
- Removes snow and other debris from entrances and exits to buildings and bus shelters
- Follows fire safety procedures and regulations
- Checks security system of buildings and ensures all windows and doors are locked
- Operates heavy cleaning equipment such as scrubbing machines, high speed buffers, carpet shampooer, and wet and dry vacuum
The list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities that management may deem necessary. The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Applicant must pass a pre-employment background check, physical, and drug and alcohol testing.
Work shifts vary from day to night, as needed. MTD operates seven days a week, including weekends and holidays, and this position may require some work outside of traditional business hours.
Position involves working in office, maintenance garage, and outdoor settings, including in tight spaces and on rooftops. Noise levels are moderate to loud and may require hearing protection. Employee will work in controlled temperature settings, hot or cold temperatures, or in inclement weather. Employee will be subject to air and noise pollutants, chemicals, bodily fluids, mechanical and electrical hazards, and hazardous physical substances and fumes. There are frequent interruptions to workflow and an expectation to attend meetings on a regular basis.
Position functions in indoor and outdoor settings, including a maintenance / bus garage and various office buildings. Employee must be able to use a variety of equipment and tools for up to 8 hours per day, up to 5 days per week. Physical requirements include stooping, kneeling, bending, standing, squatting/crouching, crawling/kneeling, pushing/pulling, climbing and descending ladders and stairs, reaching above shoulders, and lifting and transporting heavy objects such as equipment. Position requires ability to talk and hear; use vision to read printed materials and make repairs; arm, hand, and finger dexterity to operate tools and access information.
This is considered a Heavy-Work position, and employee must exert between 50 – 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 20 – 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or 10 – 20 pounds of force to constantly move objects. Employee must possess the ability to move heavier weights as needed with assistance and/or the proper equipment.
Beginning Wage: $14.88/hour
Top Wage: $22.89/hour
To apply: Select "Apply Now" below
As with all MTD positions, candidates for this position must pass a drug test. The MTD is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Apply for position at Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District, 1101 East University Avenue in Urbana. For more information, contact Sasha at 217.384.8188.