MTD is seeking candidates for a Maintenance Supervisor. The Maintenance Supervisor oversees all fleet maintenance and cleaning activities. Technicians, Service Workers, and Fleet Utility Workers report to this position.
An associate degree or equivalent work experience in automotive, diesel, maintenance, or related field is required.
- A minimum of three years of experience related to vehicle maintenance is required.
- Prior experience in supervising, directing, or training employees is preferred.
- Hold, or obtain after hire, an Illinois Class A or B Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with passenger and airbrake endorsement is required.
- Schedule and supervise vehicle preventive maintenance and cleaning.
- Assist and instruct direct reports as needed.
- Work collaboratively with the Inventory Supervisor to ensure necessary parts are in stock.
- Supervise cleaning of vehicles and Maintenance work areas.
- Ensure employees submit accurate work orders.
- Possess knowledge of parts, tools, and equipment used for vehicle maintenance.
- Maintain accurate and detailed records in accordance with established procedures.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Work with the Marketing Department to ensure the bus advertising program is executed in a timely and accurate manner.
Monday - Friday, 4 P.M. - 1 A.M.
- Position functions in both a maintenance shop / bus garage and office setting. While working in the office setting, the exertion level is considered sedentary. While performing the duties of this job, employees are regularly required to sit, with brief periods of walking and standing; talk or hear, both in person and by telephone; use hands repetitively to finger, handle, feel or operate standard office equipment; reach with hands and arms; and use vision to read printed materials and a computer screen.
- Employee must be able to function in a maintenance shop / bus garage with ability to use a variety of equipment and tools. Physical requirements include stooping, kneeling, bending, standing, squatting/crouching, crawling/kneeling, pushing/pulling, climbing and descending ladders and stairs, reaching above shoulders, and lifting and transporting heavy objects such as equipment, tools, and parts. Position requires ability to talk and hear; use vision to read printed materials, computer screen, and to use equipment and tools properly; arm, hand, and finger dexterity to operate tools and equipment and to access information.
- About 50% of the position is sedentary with exertion levels of up to 10 lbs. of force occasionally or a negligible amount of force frequently to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects. 50% of the position is classified as Medium-Work and employee must exert up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force to constantly move objects. Employee must possess the ability to move heavier weights as needed with assistance and/or the proper equipment.
- Work shifts vary from day to night, as needed. MTD operates seven days a week, including weekends and holidays, and this position may require some work outside of traditional business hours.
- All MTD employees are trained on the Management System Policy and the impacts associated with this position.
- Applicant must pass a pre-employment background check, physical, and drug and alcohol testing.
- Applicant must be able to obtain and maintain a DOT Medical Card.
- The employee will be subject to random drug and alcohol testing throughout their period of employment and is required to comply with MTD’s Drug & Alcohol Policy which includes being cannabis-free in all safety-sensitive positions.
- This job description is subject to change as needs of the District, and the tools used, evolve over time.
- Position involves working in office, maintenance garage, and outdoor settings, including on buses. Noise levels are moderate to loud and may require hearing protection. Employee will work in controlled temperature settings, hot or cold temperatures, or in inclement weather. Employee will be subject to air and noise pollutants, chemicals, mechanical and electrical hazards, vehicle contaminants, and hazardous physical substances and fumes. There are frequent interruptions to workflow and an expectation to hold and attend meetings on a regular basis.
Select "Apply Now" below to fill out the application. Attach a cover letter and resume. Closing date December 4, 2020 at 5:00p (CST)
As with all MTD positions, candidates for this position must pass a drug test. The MTD is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Apply for position at Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District, 1101 East University Avenue in Urbana. No phone inquiries please.