The Network & Systems Administrator ensures that MTD’s technology is working effectively and that staff have the technology tools they need. The position is responsible for administering a large network of Windows based desktops and servers. This is an in-person opportunity, with an excellent benefit package.
An associate degree or equivalent experience in Network Administration or a related field is required. A bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- A minimum of three years of progressively responsible work experience is preferred, preferably in a related work setting.
- Hands-on experience with networking, routing, and switching is preferred.
- Experience with networking concepts such as the OSI Model, DNS, DHCP, Routing, Switching, and VLANs is required.
- Experience with the following technologies is preferred: Microsoft Windows Server management including Active Directory, Group Policy, IIS, PowerShell, Microsoft SQL Server management, Office 365 management, and Microsoft Azure or other public clouds.
- Hold, or obtain within one year of hire, certifications including Microsoft MS-900 and Aruba Certified Switching Associate (ACSA) is required.
- Manages, maintains, and troubleshoots internal and external networks
- Manages, maintains, and troubleshoots District servers and workstations. This may include physical, virtual, and cloud-based Windows and Linux servers
- Manages the District’s Active Directory domain environment
- Implements the District’s backup strategy for digital assets and ensures the reliability of the backups
- Works under the direction of the Technology Services Director to implement cyber-security, disaster recovery, and data governance policies
- Maintains, and deploys hardware and software solutions to support Staff. Analyzes workflows and ensures adequate access to technology resources. Reviews existing software, hardware, and networks, and troubleshoots any challenges to effectively meet District needs
- Ensures the availability of communication infrastructure. This may include providing support for telephone, radio, video, and Internet communications. Reviews systems, identifies any challenges, and proactively suggests solutions, as well as responds to system failures and emergencies both during and after regular work hours
- Supports and administers third-party applications
- Manages and maintains facility camera system
- Creates and maintains documentation of server and network architecture and assists with maintaining hardware and software inventory
- Collaborates with and supports MTD staff by assisting with internal helpdesk
The list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities that management may deem necessary. The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
Work shifts vary from day to night, as needed. MTD operates seven days a week, including weekends and holidays, and this position may require some work outside of traditional business hours.
The work environment involves exposure to conditions generally found in an office setting. The noise level is quiet to moderate. There are frequent interruptions to this position’s workflow and there is an expectation to hold and attend meetings on a regular basis. This position is predominantly located in one office building, but the position will sometimes require an employee to visit other locations to meet with employees or attend training and meetings, including the Illinois Terminal, Administrative Office Building, Maintenance Garage, or other off-site locations. Occasionally, the employee may need to work outdoors in inclement weather.
The exertion level required for this position is generally considered light work. Physical requirements include stooping, bending, standing, squatting/crouching, pushing/pulling, and reaching above shoulders. While performing the duties of this job, employees are often required to sit, with regular periods of walking and standing; talk or hear, both in person and by telephone; use hands repetitively to finger, handle, feel or operate standard office equipment; reach with hands and arms; use vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and exert up to 20 lbs. of force occasionally or a up to 10 lbs. of force frequently to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects.
- All MTD employees are trained on the Management System Policy and the impacts associated with this position.
- Applicant must pass a pre-employment background check, physical, and drug and alcohol testing. The employee is required to comply with MTD’s Drug & Alcohol Policy.
- This job description is subject to change as needs of the District, and the tools we use, evolve over time.
Salary: Minimum of $72,500. Salary is commensurate with experience and education.
Closing date: February 10, 2023 at 5:00p (CST)
To Apply: Select "Apply Now" below to fill out the application, and to attach a cover letter and resume.
As with all MTD positions, candidates for this position must pass a drug test. The MTD is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Apply for position at Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District, 1101 East University Avenue in Urbana. For more information, contact Sasha at 217.384.8188.