C-CARTS is now hiring part-time Operators. If you have outstanding skills dealing with the public, an excellent driving record, and are motivated to serve others, you'll be a perfect fit. Train with our superb Safety & Training team and learn from the best. Apply now!
A high school diploma or equivalent is required.
- A minimum of five years of experience driving any motor vehicle (including private vehicle/car) is required.
- Experience working in a customer service setting, such as retail, food service, office reception, or related work setting, is preferred.
- Must be 21 years of age or over.
- Must hold a valid State of Illinois driver’s license with a current mailing address listed and have maintained a valid Driver’s License (any state) for at least five years.
C-CARTS Operators operates District vehicles and transports passengers in a safe, courteous, and timely manner. C-CARTS Operators communicate with and assist passengers, as required.
- Operates all vans for the purpose of transporting passengers safely and courteously
- Operates passenger lift equipment to provide access to and from C-CARTS vans
- Operates electronic radio, doors, lifts, and other equipment installed on C-CARTS vehicles
- Communicates with dispatchers for the purpose of providing information on fares, transfers, routes, and other C-CARTS policies and rules concerning conduct, service, safety and policy changes
- Assists individuals with physical and/or mental limitations, for the purpose of providing access to public transportation and ensuring passenger safety
- Provides written and verbal reports to document incidents, including accident reports, incident reports and vehicle defect reports
- Monitors the fare box, transfers, and fare envelope to ensure accurate fare amounts based on information provided by daily manifest
- Inspects C-CARTS vehicles to ensure safe access when boarding and exiting, and as required by law, reports malfunctions and other needed repairs promptly
- Observes and responds to emergency situations involving passengers, the public, or District vehicles for the purpose of maintaining public/passenger safety, and proper operation
The list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities that management may deem necessary. The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
- Monday - Friday
- 25 - 29 hours per week
- Applicant must pass a pre-employment background check, physical, and drug and alcohol testing.
- Applicant must be able to obtain and maintain a DOT Medical Card.
- The employee will be subject to random drug and alcohol testing throughout their period of employment and is required to comply with MTD’s Drug & Alcohol Policy which includes being cannabis-free in all safety-sensitive positions.
- All MTD employees are trained on the Management System Policy and the impacts associated with this position.
Employee will be confined to a driver’s seat and subject to varying noise levels and frequent interruptions. The District operates vehicles in service through various weather conditions at all hours of the day and night. Employee will be subject to high traffic, air and noise pollutants, vehicle contaminants, and temperature extremes.
- The exertion level required for this position is considered medium work.
- Ability to sit without discomfort for prolonged periods of time on a variety of driver’s seats in different model vehicles.
- Fit safely behind the steering wheel in such a manner that a safe clearance exists between the abdomen and the steering wheel.
- Fit in the driver’s seat to safely operate the accelerator, brake pedals and floor signal switches
- Constant and repetitive use of hands, arms, and fingers to grasp and push steering wheel and controls.
- Turn head up to 180 degrees in either direction on a regular and frequent basis.
- Walk and climb/descend steps to enter and exit a District vehicle.
- Operate the various securement mechanisms to secure a wheelchair on a District vehicle.
- Occasionally crouch, kneel, and bend to complete pre- and post-trip checks and to assist customers.
- Position requires ability to talk and hear; use vision to read printed materials, signs, and monitor traffic, and dexterity to use equipment properly.
- Exert up to 50 lbs. of force occasionally or a up to 20 lbs. of force frequently to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects.
To apply: Select "Apply Now" below
Closing date: April 21, 2021 at 5:00p (CST)
As with all MTD positions, candidates for this position must pass a drug test. The MTD is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Apply for position at Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District, 1101 East University Avenue in Urbana. For more information, contact Sasha at 217.384.8188.