MTD is hiring Specialized Services Operators for our ADA Paratransit Service. These large vans provide curb to curb service for qualifying passengers with disabilities. Operators work a minimum of 20 flexible hours per week with the opportunity for additional hours (up to 40 hour per week).
Must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- A minimum of five years of experience driving any motor vehicle (including private vehicle/car) is required.
- Experience working in a customer service setting, such as retail, food service, office reception, or related work setting, is preferred.
- Must be 21 years of age or over.
- Must hold a valid State of Illinois driver’s license with a current mailing address listed and have maintained a valid Driver’s License (any state) for at least five years.
- Must be able to pass a Motor Vehicle Report (MVR) check for prior traffic violations, including no major violations the past five years and no minor violations for the past three years.
- Operates all vans to transport passengers safely and courteously; and transports MTD vehicles between locations as required
- Operates passenger lift equipment to provide access to and from MTD vans
- Operates electronic and computerized radio, electronic destination signs, doors, lifts, camera security systems and other equipment installed on MTD vehicles
- Communicates with Office Supervisors and Control to provide information on fares, transfers, routes, and other MTD policies and rules concerning conduct, service, safety and policy changes
- Assists individuals with physical and/or mental limitations, to provide access to public transportation and ensuring passenger safety
- Provides written and verbal reports to document incidents, including accident reports, incident reports and vehicle defect reports
- Monitors the fare envelope to ensure accurate fare amounts based on information provided by daily manifest, transfers
- Inspects MTD vehicles to ensure safe access when boarding and exiting, and as required by law, and reports malfunctions and other needed repairs promptly
- Observes and responds to emergency situations involving passengers, the public, or MTD vehicles to maintain public/passenger safety, and proper bus operation
The list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities that management may deem necessary. The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
- Operators are expected to work a minimum of 20 hours per week and be available on weekends.
- Work shifts vary from day to night, as needed. MTD operates seven days a week, including weekends and holidays, and this position may require some work outside of traditional business hours.
- All MTD employees are trained on the Management System Policy and the impacts associated with this position.
- Applicant must pass a pre-employment background check, physical, and drug and alcohol testing.
- Applicant must be able to obtain and maintain a DOT Medical Card.
- The employee will be subject to random drug and alcohol testing throughout their period of employment and is required to comply with MTD’s Drug & Alcohol Policy which includes being cannabis-free in all safety-sensitive positions.
- Employee will be confined to a driver’s seat and subject to varying noise levels and frequent interruptions. The District operates vehicles in service through various weather conditions at all hours of the day and night. Employee will be subject to high traffic, air and noise pollutants, vehicle contaminants, and temperature extremes.
- The exertion level required for this position is considered heavy work.
- Ability to sit without discomfort for prolonged periods of time on a variety of driver’s seats in different model vehicles.
- Fit safely behind the steering wheel in such a manner that a safe clearance exists between the abdomen and the steering wheel.
- Fit in the driver’s seat to safely operate the accelerator and brake pedals.
- Constant and repetitive use of hands, arms, and fingers to grasp and push steering wheel and controls.
- Turn head up to 180 degrees in either direction on a regular and frequent basis.
- Walk and climb/descend steps to enter and exit a District vehicle.
- Operate the various securement mechanisms to secure a wheelchair on a District vehicle.
- Occasionally crouch, kneel, and bend to complete pre- and post-trip checks and to assist customers.
- Position requires ability to talk and hear; use vision to read printed materials, signs, and monitor traffic, and dexterity to use equipment properly.
- Exert up to 100 lbs. of force occasionally, 50 lbs. of force frequently, or 10 – 20 lbs. constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects.
Training Wage: $14.00/hour
Wage after Training: $15.66/hour
Top Wage: $22.37/hour (based on hours worked / months of service)
Closing date: May 11, 2021 at 5:00p (CST)
To apply: Select "Apply Now" below
As with all MTD positions, candidates for this position must pass a drug test. The MTD is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Apply for position at Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District, 1101 East University Avenue in Urbana. For more information, contact Sasha at 217.384.8188.