Join our team! MTD is recruiting highly motivated and career-minded full-time technicians. Applicants will maintain public transportation vehicle systems including Hybrid technology. If you have experience & a will to succeed, we want to talk with you. An excellent benefit package includes health insurance and a retirement plan.
An associate / vocational degree or equivalent work experience in automotive or diesel is required.
Technicians perform preventative maintenance and regular maintenance for all vehicles not only owned by MTD but outside companies as well. Technicians are given opportunities to learn new technologies and further their education.
- Performs preventative maintenance inspections (3,000, 6,000, and 18,000)
- Performs brake jobs (front and rear, diagnose and repair brake issues)
- Performs HVAC inspection (heating and A/C, plus diagnostics)
- Performs engine tune-ups (replace injectors, spark plugs, EGR valve/cooler, etc.)
- Performs suspension work (shocks, air bags, radius rods, etc.)
- Performs electrical work (diagnose, repair, and read schematics)
- Performs body work (paint and repair body damage)
- Performs tire work (change tires)
- Performs frame repair (straighten, modify, and weld)
- Diagnoses transmission, transaxle, and drivetrain Issues
- Hold, or obtain within six months of hire, an Illinois Class A or B Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with passenger and airbrake endorsement is required
- Must be able to communicate, work independently, multi-task and meet deadlines
- A toolbox or tool cart and minimal entry tools are required. A list is provided
The list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities that management may deem necessary. The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
Work shifts vary from day to night, as needed. MTD operates seven days a week, including weekends and holidays, and this position may require some work outside of traditional business hours.
Position involves working in maintenance garage / shop and outdoor settings, including on buses. Noise levels are moderate to loud and may require hearing protection. Employee will work in controlled temperature settings, hot or cold temperatures, or in inclement weather. Employee will be subject to air and noise pollutants, chemicals, mechanical and electrical hazards, high voltage, compressed air, vehicle contaminants, and hazardous physical substances and fumes. There are frequent interruptions to workflow and an expectation to hold and attend meetings on a regular basis.
Employee must be able to use a variety of equipment and tools for up to 8 hours per day, up to 5 days per week. Physical requirements include stooping, kneeling, bending, standing, squatting/crouching, crawling/kneeling, pushing/pulling, climbing and descending ladders and stairs, reaching above shoulders, and lifting and transporting heavy objects such as equipment, tools, and parts. Position requires long periods of standing and frequent walking; ability to talk and hear; use vision to read printed materials, computer screen, and to use equipment and tools properly; arm, hand, and finger dexterity to operate tools and equipment and to access information.
This is considered a Medium-Work position, and employee must exert up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force to constantly move objects. Employee must possess the ability to move heavier weights as needed with assistance and/or the proper equipment.
- Applicant must pass a pre-employment background check, physical, and drug and alcohol testing.
- Applicant must be able to obtain and maintain a DOT Medical Card.
- The employee will be subject to random drug and alcohol testing throughout their period of employment and is required to comply with MTD’s Drug & Alcohol Policy which includes being cannabis-free in all safety-sensitive positions.
- This job description is subject to change as needs of the District, and the tools we use, evolve over time.
Beginning Wage: $20.83/hour
Top Wage: $34.72/hour
To apply: Select "Apply Now" below
As with all MTD positions, candidates for this position must pass a drug test. The MTD is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Apply for position at Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District, 1101 East University Avenue in Urbana. For more information, contact Sasha at 217.384.8188.