MTD Readies for 2022 -2023 Service Year | August 14, 2022
As the community prepares to welcome students back at both local schools and the University of Illinois, and much of the workforce readies itself to return to collaborating in person with their co-workers, so too is MTD gearing up to return to Fall Service for our 2022-2023 Service Year, beginning Sunday, August 14.
With the 2022 – 2023 Service Year, MTD service continues to reflect our challenging Operator shortage. We’ve made improvements to fill in frequency gaps to provide a more consistent and reliable service during this recovery period.
MTD has restructured schedules to optimize frequencies on our high-capacity 10 Gold, 12 Teal Daytime, 13/130 Silver Daytime & Evening, and 22/220 Illini Daytime & Evening routes. This restructuring has been done using existing resources, and will improve schedule consistency and reliability for our passengers.
- Previously, frequencies on the 22/220 Illini varied between 10 and 20 minutes. For our new Service Year, MTD is providing 15-minute frequencies during Daytime service, and 20-minute frequencies during Evening service after 7PM.
- Previously, frequencies on the 12 Teal Daytime varied between 10 and 30 minutes, and between 30 and 50 minutes at Orchard Downs. For our new Service Year, MTD is providing 10 to 20-minute frequencies during Daytime service, and 20- 30-minute frequencies to Orchard Downs.
- Previously, frequencies on the 13/130 Silver varied between 10 and 30 minutes, with 40-minute frequencies during Evening service. For our new Service Year, MTD is providing 15-minute frequencies during Daytime service and retaining 40-minute frequencies during Evening service after 7PM.
- Previously, frequencies on the 10 Gold varied between 30 and 60 minutes for locations west of Lot E-14 and east of Lincoln Square, and between 10 and 20 minutes for points in between. For our new Service Year, MTD is providing consistent 30-minute frequencies for locations west of Lot E-14 and east of Lincoln Square, and retaining 10- to 20-minute frequencies for points in between.
Updated schedules are published in our new Maps & Schedules book, which is available inside all buses, inside MTD’s Illinois Terminal in downtown Champaign, and online at mtd.org/maps-and-schedules/maps/.
As we continue to recruit, hire, and train additional Operators, routes will be considered for restoration based on which routes have the largest frequency gaps, community feedback, and ridership levels. We are committed to maintaining dependable and accessible mobility options for customers across our service area.
Changes unrelated to staffing levels include modifications to some school trips and the relocation and consolidation of some bus stops.
Due to Urbana Middle School dismissing earlier, at 3:35PM, MTD has changed the departure time of the 8W Bronze currently scheduled to leave Lincoln Square at 3:40PM on weekdays. This trip will now leave Lincoln Square at 3:35PM.
To improve travel times for students who live in Turnberry Ridge, MTD is proposing that 16 Pink school trips no longer serve the neighborhood. Instead, Turnberry Ridge will be served as the first stop on the 5W Green Express-Copper Ridge after school.
Bus Stop Changes
To reduce traffic conflicts between buses and vehicles turning into the Marketview Town Center near McDonald’s, MTD has moved the current bus stop at Marketview Dr. at Marketview Center SW further east on Marketview Dr., to the east side of the shopping center’s driveway, Convenience Place. This move makes Marketview Dr. at Marketview Center a Far Side stop. This stop is served by the 1/100N Yellow, and the 2/20C Red.
To increase pedestrian and traffic safety, and improve schedule adherence, MTD has consolidated four bus stops on Lincoln Ave. near Church and Park Streets into two new stops.
- The stops on the west side of Lincoln Ave., at Lincoln & Park West Side and Lincoln & Church NW Corner have been consolidated, moved to the north and south, respectively, and named Lincoln & Church West Side. This stop is located near The Retreat at Illinois townhomes and will continue to be served by the 6W Orange and the 22/220S Illini.
- The stops on the east side of Lincoln Ave., at Lincoln & Park SE Corner and Lincoln & Church SE Corner have been consolidated, moved to the north and south, respectively, and named Lincoln & Park East Side. This stop is still located near the Carle Neuroscience Institute and will continue to be served by the 6E Orange and the 22/220N Illini.
MTD thanks our customers, employees, and community for their continued patience and adaptability over the last two years. We will continue to be responsive and adaptive so we can deliver the safest, most consistent service possible as we move forward on the path to service restoration.
Passengers are welcome to call us any time at 217.384.8188 to get the most up to date information on our new service year, or with questions about their trips.