MTD is committed to providing equal access and opportunity to qualified individuals with disabilities to all programs, services, and activities offered. MTD recognizes that individuals with disabilities may require reasonable modifications to policies and procedures. MTD will adhere to all applicable federal and state laws, regulations, and guidelines with respect to providing reasonable modifications, as necessary, to afford equal access to programs, services, and activities provided by the District.
A reasonable modification is a change or exception to a policy, practice, or procedure that allows individuals with disabilities to have equal access to programs, services, or activities. Reasonable modifications will be made, when necessary, for qualified individuals with disabilities, unless:
- Making the modification would fundamentally alter the nature of the program, service, or activity.
- Making the accommodation would create a direct threat to the health or safety of other passengers or participants.
- The individual with a disability is able to fully utilize MTD services or activities without the accommodation being made.
- Where granting the request would cause an undue financial and administrative burden.
An individual is eligible to be considered to receive a reasonable modification if that individual has a physical or cognitive disability that substantially limits one or more of the major life activities of that individual, has a record of impairment, or has been regarded as having such impairment.
Requests for Reasonable Modifications
MTD provides information about how to make requests for reasonable modifications readily available to the public through its website and in its facilities. When taking requests, MTD will follow the following procedure:
- Individuals requesting modifications shall describe what they need in order to utilize programs, services, or activities.
- Individuals requesting modifications are not required to use the term "reasonable modification" when making a request. MTD personnel will determine if the request represents a reasonable modification and proceed in accommodating the request accordingly.
- Whenever feasible, MTD requests that individuals make such requests for modifications before MTD is expected to provide the modified service.
- Where a request for modification cannot practicably be made and determined in advance (e.g., because of a condition or barrier at the destination of a paratransit or fixed route trip of which the individual with a disability was unaware until arriving), operating personnel shall make a determination of whether the modification should be provided at the time of the request. Operating personnel will consult with MTD’s Control Center or a Supervisor before deciding to grant or deny the request.
- Requests for accommodation can be submitted in any written format (letter or email). It is recommended that the "Accommodation Request Form" be used. Alternative means of filing a request, such as personal interview or phone call will be made available for persons with disabilities if unable to communicate their request in writing. The reasonable accommodation process begins as soon as the request for accommodation is received.
When a request for accommodation is made, MTD will make every effort to engage in an interactive process with the individual requesting an accommodation to determine what, if any accommodation will be provided. Information about the request, the process for determining whether the accommodation will be provided, and the potential accommodations will be promptly communicated with the individual requesting the accommodation.
Processing Requests and Providing Reasonable Modification
MTD will process requests for reasonable accommodation and then provide accommodations, where appropriate, in as short a time frame as reasonably possible. The time necessary to process a request will depend on the nature of the accommodation(s) requested and whether it is necessary to obtain supporting information. MTD will respond to all requests within 10 business days.
Granting a Request
As soon as a determination on a reasonable modification request has been made, that decision shall be promptly communicated to the individual. For advance requests, this notice will be in writing for record retention purposes. If requested, additional forms of communication can be provided in addition to written response.
When granting reasonable modifications, MTD shall give priority to those methods that most integrate into existing services, programs, or activities while still meeting the needs of individuals with disabilities.
Denying a Request
If it is determined that a request will be denied, this decision will be communicated to the individual. This communication will be made in writing and will clearly state an explanation for the denial. This explanation shall include:
- specific reasons for the denial
- any alternative accommodations that may create the same access to services, programs, or activities requested by the individual
- the opportunity to appeal MTD's decision on the request.
Any person who believes he or she has been discriminated against in obtaining a reasonable modification may file a formal appeal.
To make a formal appeal, write to:
Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District
1101 E University Ave
Urbana, Illinois 61802
Appeals must be made within 60 days of receipt of written denial of reasonable modification request. All information pertinent to the individuals request should be included. All decisions shall be made within 30 days from receipt of the appeal request. Alternative means of filing an appeal will be made available for persons with disabilities if unable to communicate in writing.
MTD’s designated official responsible for processing reasonable modification requests is:
Special Services Manager
Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District
1101 E University Avenue
Urbana, IL 61802
MTD will maintain all records related to reasonable modification requests and denials for at least five (5) years.