Yes, MTD's bus and van services, including ADA Paratransit, do not provide service seven full days and two evenings per year to allow our Operators, Maintenance employees, and Staff time off for New Year's Day, Easter, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve (evening service only), Christmas Day, and New Year's Eve (evening service only). Please make other arrangements for travel on these days and give us a call at 217.384.8188 with any questions.
MTD's Illinois Terminal is open 365 days per year to allow for intercity bus and passenger rail access to and from the region.
MTD's Customer Service Desk at Illinois Terminal is open for business Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Saturday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.; and on Sunday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The Customer Service Desk (but not the Illinois Terminal building) is closed New Year's Day, Easter, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day.
Our hours vary by day of the week and time of year, so don't hesitate to call us at 217.384.8188 if you want to ensure your trip will be available for a specific date. MTD's Weekday Daytime and Saturday Daytime service begins bright and early in the 5 a.m. hour. Our Weekday Evening and Saturday Evening service runs until midnight. When the University of Illinois (Illinois) is in session, there are five late night routes that operate after midnight until approximately 3:00 a.m. (depending on route). There are extra late night trips on Fridays and Saturdays.
Sunday Daytime service starts just before 8:30 a.m. If Illinois is in session, there is Sunday Evening and Late night service. When Illinois is on break (Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer), Sunday service ends at 5:00 p.m.
MTD's ADA Paratransit Service is available anytime that regular fixed-route bus service is in operation. Typical hours of operation are Monday through Saturday 5:30 a.m. - 11:00 p.m. and Sunday 8:30 a.m. - 9:00 p.m. ADA Customer Service accepts reservations from 8:00 a.m - 5:00 p.m Monday through Saturday and from 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. on Sunday. On Holidays that MTD is not operating, voicemail ADA reservations can be made for future dates.
During University of Illinois Fall, Winter, and Spring breaks, as well as Summer Session I and Summer Session II, MTD reduces service as shown below. Please consult the annual UIUC academic calendar for a listing of current dates or refer to our service calendar in the annual MTD Maps & Schedules book.
- 2 Red Express trips, designated with L and U footnotes, do not operate.
- 12 Teal “U” trips do not operate. The route operates at 20-minute frequencies.
- 13 Silver “U” trips do not operate. The route operates at 20-minute frequencies.
- 130 Silver Limited operates abbreviated routing during the evening and weekend at 20-minute frequencies.
- 22/220 Illini Limited operates abbreviated routing during all day types at 30-minute frequencies.
- No Late Night service on the 50 Green, 100 Yellow, 120 Teal, 130 Silver, and 220 Illini.
- No Sunday Evening & Late Night service.
- SafeRides Connect operates with only one van and only until midnight during breaks. SafeRides Connect does not operate at all during Summer Sessions.