Illinois Terminal is a true multimodal facility accessible to pedestrians and bicyclists, served by our local buses, rural transit providers, intercity bus providers, passenger rail, ride share zone. This facility has served our community well, helping downtown Champaign thrive, but it is time to expand. Since the opening in 1999, the number of routes serving Illinois Terminal has increased by 30% and peak utilization has grown by 50%.
With the assistance of a $17,275,000 million grant from the Federal Transit Administration (FTA), the District is moving forward with plans to renovate and expand Illinois Terminal and construct a mixed-use structure for retail, residential, and parking accommodations. Cementing the strong and growing connection between Downtown, Midtown, and the University of Illinois' Campustown, the Illinois Terminal Expansion will make it easier for people to connect to destinations by bus, train, bicycle, and by foot.
Illinois Terminal Expansion at The Yards will:
- Provide accommodations for 23 buses at a time
- Create a safer pedestrian environment
- Construct dedicated platforms for rural and intercity services
- Transform under-utilized land for more productive public use in a thriving downtown
- Improve access to employment centers
- Allow for faster and easier transfers
- Reduce wait times and increase on-time performance
- Renovate and enlarge waiting areas and other amenities for intercity travelers
- Create green space for both passengers and downtown pedestrians
Follow us on Social Media
Let us know what you think.